With lots of construction fences, barricades, and earth-moving equipment around our city, I am encouraged about the construction progress here in Sarasota this summer.
I want to highlight just five projects that are shaping Sarasota’s future:
- Selby Gardens. The Living Energy Access Facility, which will house the parking, gift shop and garden-level restaurant is taking shape. This will make Selby Gardens the world’s first net-positive botanical garden complex. With a 50,000 sq ft solar array at the top, this net-positive structure will produce the energy needs for the Gardens and have excess to share.The goal is to make this a world-class destination for plant research, conservation, and environmental education, bringing the physical structure up to the same level as all the research that’s going on.
- Bayso in Downtown Sarasota at The Quay, which anchors the south and eastern corners, is now about to be topped off. This is going to bring about 150 new residences to the downtown.
- Belpointe, which anchors the east end of Main Street, is bringing about 400 much-needed residential rental units to Downtown Sarasota.
- Downtown Roundabout. The much talked about roundabout at Gulfstream and 41 has another change in its thoroughfare. Its completion is due in the next several months. We are about to have a new way to experience entering and leaving the barrier islands.
- The Bay. The first place in Downtown Sarasota where the barricades are going down is The Bay! On October 14th we begin a 10-day celebration of this iconic 53-acre destination. It’s really impressive the places of nature and kids places they are about to unveil. This project shows that with great imagination and a great team there is no ceiling for developing our Bayfront, which is now going to provide free public access all the way from Island Park and Marina Jacks up to 10th Street.
These are some of the great things that are happening here in Sarasota. It’s great for our real estate market and for the greater community.
Stay tuned for more information about Downtown Sarasota: 941.587.0740.